Monday, December 10, 2012

You Get What You Want


In yoga, you always get what you want.  This is not to say you get it exactly the way you want it or that you can just throw out ‘wishes’ and magically receive free babysitting and lots of new clothes (my wishes are fairly modest these days).  But I’m currently having this experience with things that I have really wanted, often for some time.   

I like to tell this to students who are new to me that this will happen to them, too.  I tell them that if they want a good stretch, they’ll get just that.  If they want to know the secrets of the universe, they can.  If they want to do crow pose, I don’t see any reason that cannot happen in good time and practice.  Sometimes they get more than they bargained for along the way. 

Seven years ago, I worked for The Bank and would go on lunch breaks (sometimes a couple a day) to this park in TriBeCa near our offices.  I would sit on the benches in my barely-corporate clothing, read a fashion magazine, try not to eat, and daydream about being one of those moms playing in that park with their little kids.  I imagined myself being a yoga teacher and mom to a boy named Van, living a life of happiness and luxury.  This fall, as I sat in that very same park, I realized that is exactly what I’m doing. 

Don’t be mistaken, though.  One of every five women in New York City is a yoga teacher these days.  Many of us are very good, but we still only get a three-minute audition at our local gym along with everyone else.  My bank account is currently a sad state of affairs, and our family arrangement is such that my husband works so much that we often don’t see him for days at a stretch.  It has taken me over a year to find another mom in my neighborhood with whom to have weekday-morning pancake breakfasts.  I’m not being ungrateful here.  I’m being real.  (I really believe we do ourselves and others like us a disservice when we only show the life-is-perfect Facebook-update versions of ourselves.) 

And yet, this realization has given me permission to really want the life I have, to love it, and to radically affirm it.  I’m getting more than I bargained for.   

Next week, I leave for India with Douglas Brooks, on a trip that I have wanted to be on for years, the trip that I announced at the beginning of 2012 that I would be on.  Changes in work, finances, and our yoga community during the year made this trip seem more than impossible.  What has made it possible is the optimism of a dear friend, beneficence from a long-suffering partner, and willingness to step up from grandmas in two states.  In one word, love. 

Once, in a discussion about major and minor deities, Douglas said that if you’re looking for something specific, it’s not necessary to go to the little local deity for that specific thing.  If you want a pregnancy, then probably really what you’re wanting is love and intimacy.  So, go to the major deity and invite that energy more into your life (by whatever means, mantra, mudra, etc.), and you’ll get what you want. 

We’ve probably all had the converse experience of getting some desired outcome only to feel that we didn’t really get what we wanted.  See: child who plays with the vacuum cleaner at someone else’s house only to completely ignore the identical one you just bought.  What the child wanted was the playmate, or the stimulation of being in a different place, or you to pay attention to him. 

Probably what most of us really need is to have an experience of unconditional love.  We experience that love through the conditions of our lives.  In yoga, we call the energy that brings us that experience Kali.  She is time, she is terrible, and she is the great mother.  Through time and life all things are accomplished.  May we love it along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment